Monday, April 28, 2008

screaming out your name.

Sometimes, while reading a book, there's a sentence or paragraph that stands up and punches you in the gut. Sometimes, it perfectly encompasses so much of what you want to say to a certain person, or is able to describe what you are feeling or have felt, even more so than you ever could.

I give to you a piece of Craig Clevenger's "Dermaphoria."

"Somewhere there's a part of me that knows right from wrong. That part of me, lying gagged and bound in my mental basement, still has enough breath to whisper out through a spit-soaked gag that I should be protecting you, that if I fail every test of decency known to man, the fallout shouldn't come to you, that you had nothing to do with any of it. If I'm half a man, I should make certain you never know otherwise. I wanted to protect you, and if that made you angry with me, if it meant your never knowing why, then so be it."

This isn't an excuse, just an explanation.

No comments: